How to do Havening
The whole havening process is simple and takes only a few minutes.
Set up for Havening
- Get your client to think of their problem, the issue that they want to deal with. Get them to say aloud a word or phrase that represents that problem. Ask the client to put a number on the feeling, with ten being the most distressing.
- Tell your client to clear their mind, or imagine something pleasant.
3. Ask your client to start tapping lightly on their own collarbones with both hands, and while they are tapping and keeping their head still,
a. open and close their eyes twice.
b. with their eyes open, look to the right, then left
c. look down to their left, then down to their right.
d. rotate their eyes once clockwise, and once anticlockwise.
e. tell the client to stop tapping.
4. Tell them to close their eyes. Get your client to fold their arms across their chest.
5. Ask your client to imagine [first visualization: going up a flight of stairs].
a. With each step they [first audio: count out loud from one to 20].
b. As they are counting, you count along with them, and you gently stroke the sides of their upper arms 20 times.
Repeat the Havening Stroking
6. Ask your client to rate their feeling now on the 1 -10 scale.
If it has not reduced enough, repeat step 5a and 5b as many times as you need to.
But replace the [visualization] with another visualization such as [skipping twenty times].
Replace the [auditory] with something else such as [humming Happy Birthday aloud]
Final Havening Release
When there is no further change to your client's rating number
7. Tell your client to open their eyes, drop their arms, and relax.
8. Ask your client to rotate their eyes clockwise and anticlockwise, then close their eyes.
9. As the final step, you stroke the side of your clients arms again five times, and on the fifth stroke say "Let it go now".
10. Check with your client how they think about their problem now.
Source: http://www.hsj.gr/medicine/impact-of-a-singlesession-of-havening.php?aid=7273 accessed: 21 Sep 2018